Friday, June 20, 2008

My cellphone as a flashlight

Of course you have seem images of participants at music concerts or other public demonstrations who hold their cell phones up...opened...to create a similar effect as a candle.

So why shouldn't my cell phone truly be... in addition to all its other potential functions... a 'flashlight.'

I have seen my plumber use his cell phone to illuminate a wiring connection in the depths of a circuit panel that he could not see with his naked eye. Using the cell phone was quicker than finding his flashlight. But the backlighted screen isn't as good a flashlight as is possible with some innovation.

I think a series of LEDs would suffice to create enough light and demand power within the capacity of the cell phone battery to provide... for short periods at least.

Update: (7/19/08) An application available free from the Apple App store for the iPhone is 'Light'...which simply creates a bright white screen that in fact provides a substantial amount of light. Its not as good an LED light might be but at least my original request does not seem so bizarre now.

No comments: